Tutorial by: Titi Aifuobhokhan
Layer Cake Pack – 1 layer cake pack makes 14 placemats
Rotary cutter and mat
Sewing machine or needle and thread
All seams are ¼” unless otherwise stated.
1) Pick out 28 10″ squares and set them aside. Cut the remaining 14 squares in half. This will make them 5″ x 10″ rectangles. ( or use different fabrics for the backing).
2) Take a 10″ square and a 5″ x 10″ rectangle and with right sides facing, sew them together on the 10″ side. This will make a 14.5″ x 10″ rectangle.
3) Cut out the wadding into 14″ x 9.5″ rectangles. 14 wadding rectangles are required.
4) Pick up the fabrics in twos and put right sides together. Lay the wadding on top of it.
5) Sew round the edges and leave an opening to turn the work right side out. Do this for the remaining 13 pairs of fabric. Pins represent opening left for turning.
6) Trim the corners so it looks like the picture below and turn all 14 pieces right side out making sure to push out the corners to get a peak.
7) Top stitch round the edge of each placemat. This will seal the opening.
8.) Quilt as desired
9) Your placemat is ready to be used or given as presents!
Written by Titi Aifuobhokhan www.patchandmixcrafts.com
I am mum of one. I was made redundant afew years ago and decided to follow my dreams to learn how to sew. I learnt to sew and quilt and started a business selling fabric and making custom quilts. I also bake birthday cakes and am a committee member of the guild of machine knitters.
My goal is to empower others to try their hands at crafts. My motto is: It’s easy once you know how! I run a quilt/craft club in Swanley which has become very popular. I am always available to help either on my website or at the end of a phone.
Find Patch and Mix Crafts on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Patch-and-Mix-Crafts/224733957564868
Follow them on Twitter: http://twitter.com/patchandmix
and find them in our directory: www.morethanmummies.com/directory/patch-and-mix-crafts
Join Patch and Mix Crafts in their fantastic ‘Quilt Along’ www.patchandmixcrafts.com/HQC-Quilt-Along.html
Click to see more tutorials on morethanmummies.com
Would you like to write an article for morethanmummies.com? Click here to find out more
If you like this post please share, like or tweet